Thursday, January 22, 2009

My House...my home

Grace # 8

I am grateful that my dog needed to get up in the middle of the night a few nights ago. While she did whatever business she needed to do outside, I sat on my couch, in my family room, in the dark. As I sat there in the quiet darkness, I realized once again how much I love my house.

These were important moments for me. Firstly, too much of the time, I do not take enough time to enjoy the quiet peacefulness of my home. Either the kids are home, and there is no quiet, or I am rushing about to "get things done." Secondly, I spend way too much time focusing on what my house needs to "make it better." In other words, I concentrate on what is wrong with my house, rather than what is right with it. Too often, I think about the walls that need to be painted; the baseboards that need to be cleaned; the closets that need to be reorganized; the siding that needs to be power washed; the trim that needs to be replaced; the basement that needs to be finished; the kitchen floor that needs to be replaced. Get the idea??? As I type this, I realize that my house is not necessarily the problem. The problem is me, and possibly my expectations. I am frustrated by the lack of time and resources available to devote to my house. Perhaps I need to "just be" with my house.

That night in the darkness reminded me of all the things that I truly love about my house. I love the elevation. I love the floor plan. I love my front porch, back patio and yard. I really like my kitchen. I really like the "girls' bathroom" that I share with my daughter. I love my soak tub! I am passionate about the natural light in my house (thanks, B for always reminding me of this!), and the fabulous windows in my two-story family room. Finally, you know what I love most about my house? It is my home.

My home is where my husband and children are. Our home is where Sean and I raise, nurture, enjoy and yes, struggle with, our kids. This is where we make our marriage stronger. This is where our family witnesses each other at our best and at our worst; where we are most vulnerable. This is where I feel safest and most comfortable. Home is where I want to be when I don't feel well, when I want to cook, and when I just want to relax. Home is where my beloved pets are. This is their home, too. As I write this, I struggle to really put into words what "home" means to me. It's a concept, a feeling, for which words do no justice. Home just means home, and when you have one you just know what that means. I feel immense gratitude for the fact that I do know what home means. Home is where my heart is.

"Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than a magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration."
-Charles Dickens

"There's no place like home."
-Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz


2 comments:

  1. I completely understand your feelings of home and agree with you about the importance to take time to just "be" in your home. I love your home and have many times taken shelter there for my body and my soul. You are a great "homemaker."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Chel! I, too, have to remind myself that this is my home. As much as I love it, it's rough around the edges and I need to focus on the things I absolutely love about our home. : ) I love your floor plan, too. Especially, how open the staircase is to the "great room". Now, let's not forget all the awesome photos you have up in the house! Taken by you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete